The Best String Trimmers – 2019
String trimmers are becoming an integral part of home maintenance. These garden tools have revolutionised what used to be an arduous and dangerous chore - trimming weeds and long grass with manual tools.
Other names used to refer to them are ‘weed eaters’ and ‘weed whackers’.
Here are the 5 most popular string trimmers on the market today:
#5 - GreenWorks 21212 4-Amp 13" Corded String Trimmer
The GreenWorks Corded String Trimmer is lightweight at 5.2lbs, and easy to use. Its powerful 4 Amp motor and 13" cutting path will make light work of any domestic weeds or long grass. It has a built-in automatic line feeder, no more constant stopping and starting to adjust the line!
This trimmer has the ability to edge along the sidewalks, since the handle rotates at 180 degrees. The tool has an in-built cord lock that keeps the cord from disconnecting. Even the toughest of weeds will be taken care of, courtesy of the mighty 4-amp motor.
The telescoping shaft can easily be adjusted to fit the height of the user.
GreenWorks backs this trimmer with an impressive 4-year warranty for home use.
- Authorized Distributor Includes All Documentation and Support.
#4 – Black+Decker LSTE523 20V String Trimmer/Edger
The Black+Decker LSTE523 20V String Trimmer/Edger is part of the 20V MAX System - you can use the same battery and charger with any other 20V MAX tools you own.
This power tool can be used as a trimmer ,as well as a lawn edger.
It features the Power Drive Transmission, which gives you more cutting power at the string, and you can select from 2 speeds - either choose more power or extended runtime.
Converting from trimmer to edger takes seconds - you simply push the collar down, rotate the cutting end, and pull the collar back up.
This weed whacker has a simplified string feeder, which allows you to advance your line with the push of a button with no bumping required.
Lightweight at 6.3lb, if you have an average-sized yard you should be able to get all your trimming jobs done on a single charge.
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Line Diameter 0.065 inch
- Power Drive Transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18
#3 – Black+Decker ST8600 5-Amp 13" String Trimmer/Edger
The Black+Decker ST8600 13" String Trimmer/Edger is used for multiple functions that include trimming, edging and maintenance after mowing. It is the right answer to those that have been experiencing difficulties in maintaining hard-to-reach areas. The user remains active all through as the device is made with an auxiliary handle that reduces wrist fatigue. There is a cord retention device, to make sure you don't accidentally unplug the trimmer.
This power tool is lightweight at 5.35lb.
- Performance to power through the toughest weeds, grass and overgrowth with a 5.0 amp motor and POWERDRIVE transmission
- AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL AFS automatically feeds trimmer line as needed
- Adjustable height and pivoting handle positions
#2 – Black+Decker 12" 20V Cordless GrassHog Trimmer/Edger
Just turn the shaft and the Black & Decker LST220 12-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless GrassHog Trimmer/Edger will turn from a trimmer to an edger. It ensures a smooth and swift working, which is facilitated by the Automatic Feed Spool. A lot of power is unleashed to the cutting string by the PowerDrive Transmission. The gadget is powered by a powerful 20-volt battery that lasts for long and has a high charge retention system.
- Easily converts from trimmer to edger with a quick turn of the shaft
- Powered by 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery, with longer lifespan and charge retention than NiCad batteries
- PowerDrive Transmission delivers more power from the motor to the cutting string
#1 - Black+Decker LST300 12" Cordless Trimmer/Edger
Weighing in at an impressively light 6.75lb complete with battery (almost as light as some corded models), the Black+Decker LST300 is our pick.
The manufacturer claims this model has 33% more run time than their previous version (partly down to an improved battery pack). Users are reporting 1 hour+ run times from a single charge (this will depend on the thickness of the weeds & grass you're trimming)
With this trimmer/edger you can tackle the toughest overgrowth & the heaviest weeds.
If you have an older 2-stroke gas trimmer you're looking to replace, this model should do everything your old trimmer does and more. You'll appreciate the much lower weight, quietness and ease of starting. The lack of maintenance required is an added bonus.
Like most modern electric trimmers, this one will easily convert from a trimmer to an edger.
One slight niggle - it has been reported that the replacement line spools can be fiddly to replace.
Overall, this is great value.
Black+Decker back this trimmer with a 2-year warranty for home use.
- 20-volt Lithium Ion battery pack for 33% more run time
- The PowerDrive Transmission delivers more power from the motor to the cutting string so you can get the job done faster
- Automatic Feed Spool ensures continuous work without bumping. Line diameter: 0.065 inches