Best Wind Chimes (2019)
First used in ancient Rome and the far East thousands of years ago, wind chimes were believed to ward off evil spirits. They were used in many other countries, like India or Japan, for the same reason surprisingly. We say surprisingly because back in those times, the countries were not known to each other so well, yet the people of these different places used wind chimes for the same reason. This makes the ornament a symbol of the unity we all ought to have.
Regardless of the ancient belief, wind chimes make an excellent addition to any garden or meditation area. They come in various shapes and sizes, orchestrating different tones depending on the materials used. You should find a place to hang your wind chime where the wind blows consistently. If you live in a windy area, it's best to partly shelter the chime from the worst of the weather. And while you’re at it, take a look at our article on how to string one.
Our favorite wind chime in 2019 is still the Woodstock Amazing Grace Chime. This is a good-sized, decent quality wind chime, that plays the melody "Amazing Grace" when the wind catches it.
On this page we’ll look at the most popular wind chimes you can currently buy. The prices vary but they are mostly cheap to grab a hold of.
#1 Woodstock "Amazing Grace" - Our top choice
The Woodstock Amazing Grace Chime is a traditionally styled metal wind chime. It is tuned to play the opening bars of "Amazing Grace" when the wind blows.
It has 6 hollow aluminum tubes, so you don't have to worry about rust (aluminum cannot rust). The tubes are suspended from a bamboo top. The wind catcher is also bamboo. The strings are weather-resistant braided nylon. You can also customize the wind catcher with your own design or engraving if you wish (though the manufacturer doesn't offer this service - you would need to organize this yourself).
The total length is 24 inches and weighs 1.4 Lbs. There are also 15 inch and 40 inch versions available. The chimes are fully assembled in the packaging - all you need is to find or install a convenient hook to hang them from. This wind instrument has been precision tuned to make a wonderful sound when the wind blows - listen to the video below for a sample.
This is usually slightly more expensive than the cheapest wind chimes, but in our opinion, worth the extra few dollars, considering the size and quality. Woodstock has been around for over 30 years and is still run by the Grammy award-winning musician and instrument designer who founded the company. While the chimes are manufactured in China these days, the company is still American-owned and operated; they design all their chimes in the USA.
This model comes with a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer. Woodstock also guarantees the tuning for life!
- MUSICALLY TUNED: High quality wind chime hand-tuned to the inspiring tones heard in the opening measures of Amazing Grace, one of America's best loved and most widely known hymns; lifetime...
- DIMENSIONS: Measures 24-inches in overall length - total hanging length is measured from top of gather ring to bottom of wind catcher
- EXPERTLY CRAFTED: Features an ash wood top with a beautiful cherry finish that is weather-resistant; 6 high-polish silver aluminum tubes that will not rust when exposed to the elements;...
#2 Nalulu Floral Bamboo Wind Chime
The Nalulu floral bamboo wind chime is a rustic one, with its cap made of a coconut shell and tubes with open-flame burned designs. Nalulu claims the coconut symbolizes a fresh start. It has a stainless steel hook and a sizeable clapper for loud vibrations. The chime is also finished with double varnish layers.
These chimes are hand crafted by Balinese artisans and have a range of exotic designs. The assembled length is around 30 inches for this medium sized chime and weighs only around 11.2 ounces. The large ones can be as long as 42 inches. All the chimes are delivered already assembled and provide a calm soothing effect overall.
- We’re More Stressed Than Ever - Help Your Loved Ones Relieve Stress with Bamboo Wind Chimes. Listening to the soothing sound of wind chimes will help them feel calmer and more peaceful,...
- The Rustic One - The Open-flame Burned Floral Bamboo Wind Chime Adds Rustic and Cool Vibes to Any Setting. Flowers are burned onto the chime using an open flame and then topped with a...
- We’ve Added a Stronger Hook and More - We Understand that You Want Your Chime to Last. That’s why we’ve added a new stainless steel hook, a double coating of varnish, and a bigger...
#3 Pixpri Elegant Metal Design Wind chime
The Pixpri elegant wind chime is just over 30 inches from top to bottom. Like the Woodstock chimes, the tubes in this one are hollow aluminum as well. It plays a B Pentatonic scale - have a listen to them in the video below.
The Pixpri chimes are fully assembled and with an S-hook, so you can hang them just about anywhere. They are quite sturdy also, weighing around 2.5 Lbs.
- SOOTHING TONES IN EVERY BREEZE - A sensible curved sail and hollow tubes for a long lasting tone(B-Scale), turning the smallest breeze into a full sound. The total weight of 1.83lb keeps it...
- SOFT, SUBTLE TONES – Like the natural sounds of a lute or lyre, our unique wind chimes offer a rich, calming tone that’s clearer and lasts longer.
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE – LONG-LASTING DURABILITY - Our weather resistant materials won't wear out, which allows you to enjoy clear tones and a nice look for many years. Our strings enter the...
#4 Kearui Solar Wind Chime
The Kearui solar wind chime is an outdoor ornament with 8 tubes - 4 aluminum and 4 acrylic tubes with solar led lights. The wind chime weighs around 1 Lbs. and is waterproof, meaning it can endure any weather condition. However, it doesn't necessarily make it immune to being submerged in a pool of water for a long time.
The lights are multi colored and change automatically between an array of colors. They are powered by a solar panel, which also serves as the top piece, and light up spontaneously as it gets dark as the panel has light sensors as well. Being solar powered, no additional power source is required and can run up to15 hours when fully charged. This unit too plays the 'Amazing Grace' tune and can make a perfect gift for the holiday season.
- ♪Musical Wind Chimes Outdoor Light: The wind-chimes light unique outdoor is made of 8 tubes, amazing grace wind chimes have a wonderful tone. Enjoy peaceful melodies that play as a whisper...
- ♪Mutil-Color Changing Chime Lights: Changing colors alternating randomly between Red, Green, Orange, Blue, Yellow, Purple, shine and colorful in the night.
- ♪Energy Saving& ECO-Friendly: Solar-powered supply design is energy-saving and no wiring or external power supply is required. Charging automatically in the daytime and light up at night,...
#5 Woodstock 17 Inch Mars Wind Chime
These chimes come in a very stylish bronze color. There are 5 tubes of varying sizes and emit different tones when they strike each other. They hang from a bubinga finished wooden top section. There is a wind catcher attached to the bottom to make the magic happen.
- Rich bronze-color tubes and beautiful, uplifting harmonies from a small-size, classic-style wind chime tuned to a 5 note pentatonic scale
- 5 Bronze-colored aluminum tubes; bubinga-finish wood top and wind catcher; durable, braided nylon cord
- The smallest, personal-sized chimes of mercury to the largest, deep-voiced chimes of neptune
#6 Blue Handworks Waterfall Glass Wind Chime
This Blue Handworks glass wind chime is another handcrafted delight from Bali. The top is made of a driftwood piece, hand collected by villagers, and so each wind chime varies in the overall length from 15 to 18 inches, as the pieces of wood are not identical. The frosted glass leaves come in different color combinations; this one having a blend of green and blue is named Ocean Blue.
This wind chime weighs around 8 ounces only and comes with a key-ring style attachment. The name has the word waterfall in it due to the triangular arrangement of the leaves, resembling a cascading waterfall. As it is a very delicate piece, it is advised to hang this way from strong wings and in a sheltered area.
- Handcrafted By Skilled Artisans Using Sandblasted Glass in Unique and Bright Colors. Pleasant, Gentle Sound. Powder Coated to Protect Finish.
- Found Wood: Driftwood is Collected From the Beach and Forest, Leaving Local Resources Unharmed. Each Piece is Naturally Weathered and Unique.
- For Indoor Use as a Suncatcher or Wall Decor. Place in a Window for a Beautiful Stained Glass Effect
#7 Woodstock Pachelbel Canon Wind Chime
If you want something a bit more classical, then this might be the chime for you. It has been specifically tuned to play the notes of Johann Pachelbel’s Canon. The silver tubes are very stylish and hang from a black ash finished top. It comes with a matching black wind catcher also.
- Dimensions: measures 32-inches in overall length - total hanging length is measured from top of gather ring to bottom of wind catcher
- Expertly crafted: features an ash wood top with a Black finish that is weather-resistant; 6 high-polish Silver aluminum tubes and 4 Black aluminum rods that will not rust when exposed to the...
- Easy to customize: Woodstock Chimes does not offer engraving services, but the removable wind catcher can be taken to a personalization store, Trophy Shop, printer or jeweler to be engraved...
#8 Brazilian agate slices Wind Chime
This Brazilian wind chime is handmade in using volcanic Agate gemstones with naturally formed patterns. Since the design is made by nature itself, it would be difficult to find pieces resembling each other. This attribute makes this piece one of a kind!
The wind chimes is 18 inches long, weighs around 9.6 Lbs. and makes soft, soothing clinks. The stones being very light are able to sway about at even the lightest drifts of wind. Moreover, the seller offers a 2-year, full refund guarantee if, for any reason, you are not satisfied with this beautiful embellishment.
- GORGEOUS! Made in Brazil from hand-crafted slices of volcanic gemstones with stunning natural patterns. You’ll notice your mood improve as you feast your eyes on these exquisite sea blue...
- UNIQUE and EXOTIC! Because no two agate stones are the same, this item is literally one-of-a-kind. So your home will be your own special oasis. In the words of one Amazon customer: “THESE...
- THE SOUND OF SERENITY…This chime produces soft calming sounds that will help you relax and enjoy the serenity of the present moment. Amazon customers describe the sound as “a very gentle...
#9 Banberry Designs "In Loving Memory" Chime
The intent of this chime, with their hauntingly beautiful melody, is to serve as a reminder of a departed dear one, and in this case - a mother. They are beautifully made, though a little smaller than most of the other chimes here.
The wind chime is about 15 inches long and weighs only 7.2 ounces. The "In Loving Memory" chime will provide a long-lasting remembrance of your loved one.
- LOSS OF A MOTHER measures approximately 15" long. Silver MOM charm attached to the the top of the angel wings heart.
- GARDEN WINDCHIMES for the death of a mother, mother-in-law, step mom. Give this any friend or family member who is mourning the loss of their special mother.
- I THOUGHT OF YOU WITH LOVE TODAY God has you in his keeping, I have you in my heart. Teardrop shaped charm hanging on bottom which is engaged on both sides.
#10 Cohasset Gifts 126 Bamboo Wind Chime
This Cohasset bamboo wind chime is another Balinese creation. This particular piece is the large sized one, weighing around 1 Lb. and is 30 inches long. There are two other sizes available as well - medium and small.
The top in this one is made out of a coconut shell as well, and has 6 hand painted tubes attached to it. It comes fully assembled and with a hook. The nylon strings make this product all the more sturdy. As it is made with intent of using outdoors, the chime is finished with a layer of varnish, which you can always reapply to bring back some life when it starts to show signs of age.
- Each design is its own unique work of art
- The bamboo tube is hand tuned for a warm relaxing tone
- Made of ecofriendly, fast growing bamboo and coconut wood
What material makes the best wind chimes?
Wind chimes can be made of a few different materials. The resultant tune gets a unique touch depending on which material it is made of.
Metal wind chimes, frequently made of copper, aluminum or steel, produce sharp, tinkling sounds. Apart from creating a melody for the human ear, the sound also scares away birds or rodents when the wind is strong enough. Metal chimes are readily available and commonly seen as they are inexpensive and, in some cases, rust free. If you are someone who prefers soft and delicate tones, copper chimes should be good for you. Aluminum and steel chime tunes are much sharper and distinct.
Wood wind chimes, mostly made from bamboo, are very popular as the sound it creates has a much wider variety, depending on factors like the tube density, length, etc. Bamboo tubes can make tunes like bass, mezzo, soprano, tenor and alto. Some users also prefer the casual clattering sound the tubes make. Overall, wood wind chimes provide you with a calm and soothing effect from the background.
Ceramic wind chimes are usually are hung inside the house and mainly to decorate a space rather than the conventional tune-creating purpose. As the material is denser and easily breakable, it is not opted for areas with strong winds. On account of the material type, the sound produced by ceramic chimes are short and sharp, they don’t reverberate like the metal ones.
Glass wind chimes are the ones that make the most high-pitched chimings of all. Needless to say, being made of glass, they are very delicate and need to handled with care. But like all the others, they make an excellent ornament for any house.
Other materials include various recycled substances and oyster shells. As these materials are very light and gentle, they don’t produce tunes but rather soft tappings. They are mainly intended towards the visual appeal.
Having said all these, the answer to the question that which material makes the best wind chime depends on your specific need and area. If you are looking for a chime to be placed outdoors in areas with strong winds, metal chimes would be more appropriate as they are sturdy and rust free in case of aluminum. Wood chimes can be used outdoors as well but they are susceptible to weathering and might have to be replaced frequently.
Now out of these two, metal ones make sharp, resonating sounds while wood chimes make shorter and softer sounds. Therefore, metal chimes would make a great addition to a jolly and lively setting, while wood chimes would enhance the harmony in a tranquil and relaxed zone.
For indoor and decorative purposes primarily, ceramic and glass wind chimes would be better, as they are made of delicate substances and might not be able to withstand strong currents of wind. Both of these types make short tunes, but glass ones tend to have a shrill and sharper sound compared to ceramic ones which make a sort of blunt and softer sound. You can choose either type as an ornament to embellish your home depending on which one appeases your ears more.
Do you own any of the wind chimes mentioned here? Did you choose a different one? Let us know in the comments!